The best family holidays in South Africa are filled with interactive, fun activities that bring the entire family together. We list the main attractions family attractions in each of South Africa's provinces, to inspire your next family holiday. South Africa is waiting.
Planning a family holiday in South Africa, but need a little inspiration as to where to go? Each province has it's own very unique appeal with loads of things to do on that family holiday. South Africa is not a country to dissapoint, leaving you spoiled for choice. Check out the suggested attractions to see and activities to do while planning one of the best family holidays in South Africa.
Above: Blouberg Beach in Cape Town
The Western Cape is a great location to host a family holiday. South Africa's Western Cape is home to lovely weather, lush greenery and every type of adventure, leisure and cultural activity you can think of. The Western Cape is an absolute playground for families. Below is a list of places and activities in the Western Cape that will make up one of the best family holidays in South Africa.
- Penguin colony – Simon’s Town
- Robben Island – Cape Town
- Red City Bus Tour – Cape Town
- Table Mountain Cable Car – Cape Town
- World of Birds – Hout Bay
- Warm Baths – Citrusdal
- Ostrich Farm – Oudshoorn
- Whale watching – Hermanus
- Cheetah Park - Spier
There isn't a whole lot attracting families to the Northern Cape, but the attractions they do have are absolute gems, and can easily make for one of the best family holidays in South Africa. Below are the Northern Cape's call to travelling families.
- Observatory and largest telescope in southern hemisphere – Sutherland
- The Big Hole – Kimberley
- Walk the Belgravia Historic Walk - Kimberley
Above: Spot wildlife in the Kruger National Park
Mpumalanga is home to the scenically stunning Panorama Route. Blyde River Canyon, the Pinnacle, God's Window, Lisbon and Berlin Falls, Bourke's Luck Potholes and the Three Rondavels are natural sights to see on a family road trip if you're not hopping on a group style family overland trip. Getting the kids outdoors and exposing them to natural attractions like these is a great way to add to an appreciation of the environment. Kruger National Park is a great safari destination for families with children old enough to take malaria tablets. There are loads of safari activities and things to do in Kruger that are enjoyed by family every year. Mpumalanga is a great destination for family holidays that involve natural beauty and wildlife, below are a few places where you can experience this.
- Kruger National Park - Nelspruit
- Sudwala Caves - Nelspruit
- Elephant Whispers Interaction - Hazyview
- Bird Of Prey & Rehabilitation Centre - Dullstroom
- Panarama Route gateway - Graskop
The better part of the Free State is a vast stretch of boundless landscape dotted with plains game - brilliant for enjoying a slow paced family road trip. The natural surrounds are a large part of the Free State's appeal for parents looking for the best family holiday in South Africa because the quiet, tranquil beauty makes for a great breakaway from the urban norm. Below are a few of the activities and attractions that can be enjoyed on a family getaway in Free State.
- Steam train route - Bethlehem-Bloemfontein
- Loch Logan Waterfront – Bloemfontein
- Golden Gate Highlands National Park – Northern Free State
- Cherry picking – Ficksburg
- Basotho cultural village – Harrismith
Above: Brighton Beach, Kwazulu Natal
With humid summers and temperate winters, KwaZulu Natal is the destination for the best family holidays in South Africa if you love the outdoors. Below are a few experiences to include in plot to enjoy one of the best family holidays in South Africa.
- Flag farm animal farm - Ballito
- Golden Hours Family Market - Durban North
- Mini Town - Durban
- The Drum Café Drumming Experience - Durban
- Ushaka Marine World - Durban
- Alexandra Park - Pietermaritzburg
- Drakensberg Horse Trails - Bergville
- Fly a Kite - Amanzimtoti
- Africa adventure centre - Rosetta
North West Province
The North West Province is a great family holiday destination. Home to the ultimate family destination of Sun City, it's not hard to see the appeal. This retreat has all the fun both children and adults could wish for. It has its own Water World, Valley of the Waves, casino, steam train rides, Predator World, Crocodile Farm and golf course… and that’s just naming a few options. Enjoy one of the best family holidays in South Africa in the North West Province. Below are a few attractions for the whole family in North West Province.
- Lost City - Sun City
- Ukutula Lion Park – Brits
- Snake and Animal Park - Hartbeespoort Dam
Above: Gold Reef City, Johannesburg
Gauteng is a great destination for a family adventure, especially if you feel the need to get back in touch with your urban side after a bout in the wild. Johannesburg is filled with a variety of activities that will keep the whole family entertained. Below are a few attractions to include in your itinerary for planning one of the best family holidays in South Africa.
- National Zoological Gardens of South Africa - Pretoria
- The Ann van Dyk Cheetah Centre - Tshwane
- Kolonnade Ice Arena - Pretoria
- Lion Park - Johannesburg
- Johannesburg Zoo - Johannesburg
- Gold Reef City - Johannesburg
- Walter Sisulu Botanical Garden - Johannesburg
- Bunny Park - Johannesburg
Limpopo Province offers families the opportunity to get up close to a host of interesting animals usually found in the wild. Hoedspruit is a great part of the province to visit as the area is well known for it's wildlife rehabilitation centre and educational talks - great for a family holiday. South Africa's Limpop Province offers an opportunity to mix family with nature and learning - the recipe for one of the best family holidays in South Africa, I'd say! Below are a couple family attractions to visit in Limpopo Province.
- Moholoholo Wildlife Rehab Centre - Hoedspruit
- DAKTARI Bush School & Wildlife Orphanage - Hoedspruit
- Mystic Monkeys and Feathers Zoo - near Pretoria
- Mangela Animal Touch Farm - Tzaneen
- Echo caves - Ohrigstad
- Polokwane Bird and Reptile Park - Polokwane
Above: Garden Route, Eastern Cape
The Eastern Cape is a great place for one of the best family holidays in South Africa. The diversity of the province's attractions and activities are ideal for that family getaway. A proper ski resort in South Africa? A family wildlife experience? Beaches, sunshine and family fun? The Eastern Cape offers it all. Below are a few attractions you'll want to check out on your family holiday in South Africa's Eastern Cape.
- Ski Resort - Tiffindell Ski Resort
- Hot springs - Aliwal North Hot Springs Spa
- Addo Elephant National Park – near Port Elizabeth
- South African Marine Rehabilitation and Education Centre – Port Elizabeth
- Beaches – Sunshine Coast
Now that you've see all the great things you can do with your family in South Africa, why not contact one of our journey experts to tailor-make the perfect holiday or safari for your family.
You Might Also Like
Adjacent to the Kruger National Park, the Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve is a private premier game viewing destination. It was the first ever private nature reserve established in South Africa. The landscape features 65 000 hectares of…
Thornybush Private Reserve is South Africa’s premier private game viewing destination. Extensive wildlife studies, documentaries are various anti-poaching and conservation measures have been implemented at this incredible reserve, making for…
The famous Kruger National Park is one of the largest dedicated game reserves in Africa. Thousands of visitors come to the Kruger National Park each year to experience the best in game viewing, the Big Five and luxury accommodation. This…