East Africa safaris, tours & holiday packages
Home of the world's greatest migration and the last remaining Mountain gorillas on the planet
East Africa brings its own magic to a safari. From the jungles of Rwanda and Uganda, to the endless plains of the Serengeti and Masai Mara, this destination has something for everyone. East Africa hosts islands too, namely those of Zanzibar, Mafia and Pemba; popular destinations for sun, sand and fun.
East Africa is known for being one of the last true wilderness regions of Africa. The Great Migration that traverses both Tanzania and Kenya is a particularly popular travel destination. However, travel further in land to Rwanda and Uganda is gaining traction as a new tourism hotspot.
You'll find plenty of rich history and culture in East Africa and the warmth of the people who reside there makes this destination as absolute pleasure to visit. A multitude of wildlife species, birds and varied terrain means that East Africa hides surprises in every corner. Enjoy the Big Five and countless other astonishing species.
UNESCO World Heritage Sites dot the region, with many of Africa's most famous landmarks unique to the area. Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa's highest mountain peak, the Ngorongoro Crater, Virunga Mountains and Stone Town in Zanzibar are among the many must-visit places in East Africa.
More on East Africa holidays
Diversity in every aspect of East Africa creates a smorgasbord of different experiences to be had in this region. Some of the highlights include:
- Following the amazing Wildebeest Migration in Tanzania and Kenya and getting to know the Maasai people native to these countries.
- Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Kenya.
- Visiting the medieval city of Stone Town in Zanzibar and enjoying a true island paradise.
- Gorilla trekking through the jungles of Rwanda (Volcanoes National Park) and Uganda (Bwindi Impenetrable Forest) to see Mountain gorillas in their natural habitat, as well as chimpanzees and other endangered primates.
- Hiking to Dian Fossey's tributary tomb in Rwanda, as well as a visit to the eye-opening Genocide Museum in Rwanda.
- Exploring Lake Bunyonyi in Uganda.
- Thrilling safari experiences in any national parks and game reserve in every region; they all offer something unique by way of wildlife and landscapes.
Know before you go
- English is spoken in most East African countries as well as Swahili in Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya and French in Rwanda. There are, however, many different dialiects and languages that make up this colourful region.
- National park and game reserve fees can be very exorbitatant if you’re going on a self-drive or ‘budget’ holiday. We include these costs in our quotation to make your experience seamless.
- Permits are required to trek gorillas in Uganda and Rwanda. These permits are included in the final cost of your safari but are limited to 80 per day. We will also secure these permits for you.
- You should always ask a local person if you may take a photograph of them.
- Public displays of affection are discouraged in Zanzibar and ‘immodest’ clothing is frowned upon. Zanzibar is a conservative Muslim country, please respect all religions when on holiday to another country.
- You will require malaria medication for travel to East Africa
- For your own safety, avoid drinking tap water or eating street food when you don’t know what hygiene standards have been observed during preparation. Food served in hotels, camps and lodges will be perfectly safe.
- Keep your money and valuables safe and don’t flash them around. Safes will be available in your camp or lodge.
- Never pet or touch wild animals, even if you are given the opportunity to do so.
When to go
What to pack
- Some over-the-counter medication for common ailments as well as insect repellent.
- Confortable clothes and shoes, particularly if you will be walking or trekking.
- A light rain jacket for rainy days.
- Camera, spare batteries and binoculars.
- Sunscreen, sun hat and sunglasses.
- Cash for shopping in case there are no ATMs available in more rural areas.
Weather and Climate
- The Serengeti and Masai Mara sees two seasons, the rainy or wet season as well as the dry season.
You can expect temperatures in the dry season to range between 10 degrees celsius-15 degrees celsius with the heaviest rainy periods between March, April and May. The shorter rains occur between November and January
The dry season sees temperatures vary between 21 degrees and 30 degrees celsius from June to October.
- The islands off the coast of East Africa remain relatively warm and humid throughout the year, with little rain.
- Kilimanjaro, Mount Kenya and other high-altitutude destinations see much colder temperatures and snow.
- Uganda and Rwanda experience a much cooler temperature, with plenty of rain which explains the lush foliage of these regions. You can expect an average temperature of between 20 and 27 degrees celsius.
The rainiest seasons occur between November and December and May to June.
Safari / Holiday Styles
East Africa offers a variety of pleasurable safari activities and styles:
- Horseback safaris in Kenya and some reserves in Tanzania.
- Gorilla trekking in Rwanda and Uganda.
- Beach safaris in Tanzania and Kenya.
- Photographic safaris.
- Family safaris are great in Tanzania, Kenya and Zanzibar.
- Walking safaris in private reserves.
- Mobile camping as you follow the Great Migration in the Serengeti and Masai Mara.
- Honeymoon safaris.
Where to stay
East Africa Map
East Africa's location on Google Maps
Frequently Asked Questions about East Africa
Africa for centuries has captured the imagination of explorers hence there really is a lot of information out there available on the continent from guide books to novels. go there.
Reviews on our East Africa safaris
Perfectly tailor-made tours that take all your wishes and requests into consideration. All my expectations were beyond fulfilled.
Ready to start your adventure?
Your tailor-made African holiday starts here...
Submitting your inquiry
Thank you, your enquiry has been received
Thank you, your enquiry has been received
8AM - 5PM GMT+2