Luxury Safaris in Tanzania
Tanzanian luxury safaris are a wildlife and forest extravaganza in a country with epic terrain. This vast, sparsely populated country is home to some of the world’s most incredible wildlife encounters.
A luxurious Tanzania safari is really something unique, from the snow-capped summit of Mount Kilimanjaro to the game-rich Tarangire.
With 14 national parks and multiple game reserves, it is home to the continent’s largest wildlife herds, as well as the palm-fringed island of Zanzibar, perfect for post-safari relaxation.
Why Go on a Tanzania Luxury Safari Tour?
- In hand-picked areas like the Ngorongoro Crater, a Tanzania luxury safari tour involves world-class private camping in luxury tented accommodation.
- On a luxury safari in Tanzania, you can see the Great Wildebeest Migration as it passes through the Serengeti National Park’s plains.
- On your Tanzania Luxury Safari trip, you will have excellent game viewing all year.
- The Tarangire National Park is famous for its large herds of elephants and spectacular baobab trees
The Top Five Luxury Tanzania Safari Lodges and Camps
Our travel expert Matthys has been privileged enough to have seen more than 25 luxury Tanzania safari lodges and camps, from these 25, Matthys has selected his top five for the world to see:
Lemala Mpingo Ridge
Lemala Mpingo Ridge Luxury Safari Lodge is located right on the ridge of a massive hill with sweeping views of Tarangire National Park.
You can even see Lake Manyara National Park in the distance as well as the Rift Valley Wall. All the Tanzania luxury Camps from Lemala have a winning recipe regarding the decoration and the layout of the spacious suites.
The same goes for all the Lemala luxury camps mentioned in this article. Understated luxury and elegance with light-coloured wood and decorations throughout the room and camp. The food is fantastic and the service is excellent!
- The highlight of this tanzania luxury safari camp: The view from the suites, bar, and dining area, and the pool is just amazing.
- Best time to visit: June to October
Sanctuary Kusini is a Tanzania luxury safari camp and is located in the Western part of the Serengeti on a rocky hill with big rocks surrounding the camp.
The Tanzania luxury Safari Camp’s dining and lounge area are beautifully decorated with large soft sofas to relax and enjoy a gin & tonic and soak up your African Safari in style. The Tanzania luxury safari camp has a great sundowner spot on a big rock overlooking the plains of the Serengeti National Park, the perfect way to start your evening!
The tented suites are also beautifully decorated in an old colonial safari style with a touch of old and new. The location is excellent to see the calving season from January to March.
- The highlight of this Tanzania luxury safari camp: The view from the suites, bar, dining area, and pool are fantastic.
- Best time to visit: January – March
Bushtops Safari Camp
When you have stayed at so many fantastic luxury safari camps in Tanzania, it starts to get challenging to pick a favourite, and if Matthys had to choose, this Camp would be one of the top camps in his opinion.
This Tanzania luxury safari camp is located in the Northern Part of the Serengeti and perfect for the time when the Migration herds cross the Mara River.
Bushtops Luxury Safari Camp has a fantastic rock pool with sweeping views, and the camp also has spa facilities.
Among the highlights of the Tanzania luxury safari camp, will be the great open Boma area, comfortable lounge, and dining areas.
The camp is dressed in light-coloured wooden decks, which brings a modern touch with a classic look. Understated African Safari luxury is what comes to mind when thinking of this camp.
The food is from out of this world, delicious, and the presentation can be compared to a Michelin star restaurant.
- The highlights of this Tanzania luxury safari camp: The walls of the suites can roll up and create a massive open living area with a private plunge pool with an outside shower and seating area to top it off.
- Best time to visit: June – August
Lemala Mara – Kuria Hills
Lemala Mara is located in the Western Serengeti, and the same winning formula applies that the rest of the Lemala luxury safari camps have.
The luxury safari camp offers the same high level of service, quality of food, friendly staff, elegant, understated luxury with meticulous attention to detail!
- The highlight of this Tanzania luxury safari camp: The Suites have private plunge pools with an outdoor shower and seating area.
- Best time to visit: June – August
Nimali Mara is also located in the Western Serengeti. The camp is situated on a massive exposed rock built around the rock which gives it a unique feel. The lounge and dining areas provide incredible views of the Serengeti underneath, probably the second-best view in this list of luxury safari camps.
The rooms are all located around the dining and lounge areas.
The suites offer incredible views with one side of the suite entirely made of glass with no obstructions.
The room is all about a luxury safari in Tanzania, and the finishes are all well thought out. The bathroom provides a beautiful copper bathtub with views over the grass plain, which is a luxurious safari experience that everyone should experience.