Situated in the southwest of Kenya, covering an area of 1,510 square kilometres (583 square miles), the Masai Mara National Reserve is a land of breathtaking vistas, abundant wildlife, and endless plains. The quintessential Masai Mara safari delivers many attractions, as the reserve is home to an excellent year-round concentration of game, including the more than two million wildebeest, zebras and other antelopes that make up the famous Great Migration.
We recommend Masai Mara travel itineraries that put you at the heart of the migration action and that also include romantic and intimate escapes where you’ll enjoy opulent tented camps set in private concessions. If you’re on a budget, we have affordable scheduled group tours staying at comfortable safari lodges.
We’d also suggest combing a Masai Mara safari with some time in Tanzania’s Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater for a huge wildlife experience! If you’d like a beach break at the end of your trip, why not include Lamu Island or even Zanzibar? Our selection of top Masai Mara tours and safaris include gorilla and migration, romantic honeymoon, wildlife discovery and family-friendly safaris. Read on to see our Top five best Masai Mara tours:
HerdTracker Masai Mara wildebeest migration safari
Experiencing the Great Migration with HerdTracker adds another layer to witnessing this Natural Wonder of the World. A Safari with our Maasai Guides is a life-changing experience that will provide you with a deeper, more meaningful understanding of the intricate details of the Maasai Mara ecosystem. No one knows the Mara like the Maasai: they are the true specialists.
- Encounter the Great Wildebeest Migration
- Experience safari game drives
- Witness the abundance of flora and fauna in the Masai Mara whole avoiding the crowds
- Capture big cats such as lion, leopard, and cheetah
Rwanda gorillas and the migration, both sides of the Mara River
Enjoy two of Africa's most magnificent wildlife experiences – mountain gorillas and the Great Migration – on one unforgettable safari! This journey shows you two of the highlights of the natural world on the African continent. You'll be spellbound by an hour or two with the mountain gorillas of Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda, then you'll experience the Great Migration in both Tanzania's Serengeti National Park and Kenya's Masai Mara Reserve, with possible sightings of animals crossing the Mara River.
- Gorilla trekking
- Witness Great Migration River Crossing
- Big cat sightings in the Serengeti
- Enjoy the beauty of the Mara and the abundance of wildlife in this extraordinary reserve
Masai Mara wildlife discovery
The Masai Mara is the world's most prolific game viewing area for big cats and the Great Migration! This journey will give you a better understanding of the different areas within the greater Mara ecosystem. Although you could spend months in the Masai Mara, 10 days will give you the ultimate Greater Masai Mara experience, with time both inside and outside the reserve. This safari concentrates on the Mara confluence inside the reserve, Mara North, Olare Orok and Naibosho conservancies.
- Enjoy the heart of the Masai Mara exploring Paradise Plains and Musiara Swamp, made famous by the BBC’s Big Cat Diaries and Jonathan and Angie Scott.
- Safari night game drives
- Enjoy the campfire at night and what's claimed to be the area with the highest concentration of lions in Africa
- Photographic safari
- Safari nature walks
Masai Mara safari adventure
Explore the jewel in Kenya's crown; the wildlife-rich Masai Mara National Reserve.
- Experience the best that Kenya has to offer
- Experience the Big Five, and a host of other wildlife, including cheetah and over 570 species of birds
- Waking up to the sight of zebras, giraffes, ostriches and gazelles grazing right outside your window.
- Capture the Big cats
Kenya’s top 3 southern attractions
Amboseli, Lake Nakuru and the Masai Mara are southern Kenya's superstars, the best places for your safari! This safari shows you the highlights of Kenya’s south. It includes three areas that epitomise East Africa – Mount Kilimanjaro with Amboseli elephant in the foreground, as well as flamingo, pelican and rhino in the Rift Valley lake of Nakuru. This is followed by the famous Masai Mara eco-system, with the Mara North Conservancy and fenced off by the Olare Motorogi Conservancy.
- Amboseli wildlife experience
- Enjoy walking safari
- Horse riding
- Night game drives
- View of Mount Kilimanjaro
- Explore Lake Nakuru on the lookout for late afternoon leopard, strange Rothschild’s giraffe and perhaps even a rhino sighting
- Experience flamingos
- Enjoy on the shores of this Rift Valley soda lake, where you might see rhino and flamingo
- Enjoy evening sunset
If you don't find what you're looking for, contact one of our experienced Africa Safari Experts and they'll tailor-make you the trip of a lifetime.