Kapama Game Reserve
The 130km2 (50 square mile) Kapama Private Game Reserve lies just west of the Kruger National Park and a mere 10 minutes from the town of Hoedspruit. It is not only home to the Big Five, but the sprawling savannah grasslands and riverine forests straddling the Klaserie River in the east of the reserve see more than 40 species of mammals and over 300 bird species.
Kapama has four luxury lodges, each with its flair. The bespoke villas overlooking the Klaserie River at Karula are suited to the discerning traveler looking for the ultimate in privacy and comfort.
The River Lodge, with its contemporary design, is a more social space perfectly suited to young couples and groups of friends.
At the intimate Buffalo Camp, luxury safari tents set amongst the treetops are linked together by elevated walkways. The Southern Camp caters to couples and families alike in luxury suites and villas. Karula and the River Lodge also offer accommodation suitable for families.
Highlights of Kapama Game Reserve
- Ditch the big vehicles and strap on some walking shoes for a guided walking safari. Skilled rangers will show you wildlife and share traditional knowledge about tracking, medicinal plants, and birdlife.
- Kapama offers a 2-day photography workshop led by a leading African wildlife photographer so you can hone your skills before heading out on game drives aimed explicitly at photography.
- The Romantic Sleepout lets couples experience a night under the stars on a private platform in the African bush. You even get a private chef that will prepare a five-course dinner!
Practical Information for Kapama Game Reserve
- The nearest international airport is OR Tambo International in Johannesburg, about 6 hours travel time from the reserve by car. OR Tambo is serviced by domestic flights from all over South Africa, so you can also fly to Hoedspruit, the nearest local airport to Kapama. From here, it’s a short transfer by car to the reserve.
- Kapama offers the discerning traveler the option of flying directly to the reserve from OR Tambo and Cape Town International airports in a privately owned aircraft.
- Bring warm clothing (it gets cold at night), a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen to protect against the heat during the day. Wear muted colors like khaki, brown, or green to avoid being easily spotted by animals. Bright colors can attract insects.
- Kapama, like all of the Kruger, lies within a malaria region.