Tanzania July to October Great Migration Safari with HerdTracker (9 days)
Nowhere in the world is there a movement of animals as immersing as the wildebeest migration, over two million animals migrate from the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania to the greener pastures of the Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya during July through to October.
July is the usually when the wildebeest herds begin moving faster in search of water and greener grass, making their way across the Grumeti and Mara River. October is a good time to see the wildebeest herds move back into the Serengeti and warm weather can be expected.
Ngorongoro crater is the result of a volcano that exploded about three million years ago and collapsed on itself, creating what is toady an expanse of about 240 square kilometres which today teems with wildlife, beautiful rivers and forests.
Hot Air Balloon Safaris: Experience the wilderness of East Africa, as you silently fly over the plains teeming with herds in the Serengeti National Park (optional extra).
Costing tip: When comparing with other companies, remember most of them only show the low season rate. How pricing works >
What to Expect on This Safari
This popular itinerary can be customised to match your budget and travel dates by adding/removing a few days or selecting different lodges
Arrival in Arusha
- You will be met at Kilimanjaro International Airport and transferred to African Tulip Hotel, where you will spend the night with your bed and breakfast included.
- The African Tulip is an elegant and charming luxury boutique hotel, located along Serengeti Road in the heart of Arusha.
Meals: Bed and Breakfast
2 to 3
Tarangire National Park
- Drive from Arusha to Tarangire National Park. You will stay on a full board basis for two nights in the Maramboi Tented Camp.
- This is a unique opportunity to experience and explore the Tarangire and Manyara ecosystem. The camp offers permanent camp facilities and endless vistas of rolling golden grasslands and palm lined desert between Tarangire and Manyara Lake. A visit to the area is essential for anyone interested in evolution and origins of mankind and an exploration of the Rift Valley and Africa’s Big Five
- Experience safari walks, sundowner and game drives in the Tarangire National Park.
Meals: All meals and soft drinks
4 to 5
- Today you’ll drive to Ngorongoro Crater where you’ll spend two nights with all meals and activities included, in the Pakulala Luxury Safari Camp.
- Day trips include game drives in the Lake Manyara National Park and a full day at Ngorongoro Crater with a packed picnic lunch.
- There will be an opportunity to learn more about the traditions and culture of the local Maasai tribe on an enlightening day-tour to the nearby village.
- Each night will be spent gathered around a campfire, where you can absorb the incomparable African sunsets before dinner.
Meals: All meals
6 to 8
Northern Serengeti National Park
- Today you’ll transferred to Manyara Airstrip for your flight to Northern Serengeti. On arrival at Lobo Airstrip, you’ll be transported to the Nasikia Mobile Camp. This will be your home for the next three nights with all your meals and activities included.
- The camp follows the migration as well as other wildlife from the Ngorongoro Conservation Area to the Serengeti National Park. Being mobile, the camps are able to offer the best wildlife viewing.
- Enjoy morning and afternoon game drives and nature walks that will give you the opportunity to capture the wildebeest migration.
Meals: All meals
End of Journey
After enjoying breakfast and scheduled activities, you'll be transferred to Lobo Airstrip for your flight back to Kilimanjaro Airport for your onward journey.
You Might Also Like
This Tanzania safari offers a two-dimensional journey that will take you across the Serengeti National Park, Tarangire National Park, the Ngorongoro Crater and the beautiful shores of Zanzibar island. Stay at Asilia Africa's premium…
Begin your journey in northern Tanzania at the pristine Ngorongoro Crater, an extinct volcano that collapsed millions of years ago, creating one of the world's biggest calderas. As a result of this natural phenomenon, the fertile rich soils…
Approximately 8,000 wildebeest are born every day during the peak calving season from early January to late February. The calving season also introduces a host of predators looking to make a quick meal of the vulnerable calves. It's during…
This nine-day adventure is a must for those travellers seeking drama in their safari experience. Witness the birth of wildebeest calves and predators waiting in the wings.