Crocodile Bridge Rest CampKruger National Park
Request price for Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp
Management and staff at Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp in Kruger National Park are dedicated to ensuring that your comfort and enjoyment have first priority. This has led to Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp in Kruger National Park being nominated best-run camp three years in a row.
Accommodation and lodging comprise of bungalows, safari tents and caravan/tent camping sites. This area around Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp in Kruger National Park is flat scattered with Marula trees alongside the Crocodile River. This camp also offers disabled-friendly accommodation.
The game viewing area is known as the 'Southern Circle' and is renowned for its concentration of different pride of lions with different hunting techniques and behavior. It has an abundance of prides, herds, troops, packs, and swarms. It is home to a larger percentage of the Kruger National Park's total Rhino population.
The southern part of the Kruger National Park has a history that can be traced back centuries. Attractions and sightseeing activities include the San (Bushmen) paintings which adorn an overhanging sandstone, a rock near the Hippo pool, the only remnants of the San People who once lived and hunted in this area.
History of Crocodile Bridge Rest Camp in Kruger National Park
During the 18th century, European explorers were lured inland by legends of the fabulous gold riches of Monomotapa. They came into conflict with the local inhabitants, whose traditional way of life was threatened by these unknown visitors from across the sea.
Francois de Cuiper of the Dutch East India Company led the first expedition to the area from the Cape in 1725. His party was attacked by local inhabitants in the Gomondwane bush (just north of Crocodile Bridge), and forced to retreat to Delagoa Bay.
When the Sabie Reserve (a forerunner of the Kruger National Park) was proclaimed in the late 19th century, Crocodile Bridge was one of the first 4 ranger posts. The bridge across the Crocodile River, visible from the rest camp, once formed part of the Selati railway line that wound its way through the Park to Skukuza. Construction of the bridge started in 1894 and was completed just before the end of the 19th century. The bridge continues despite being damaged in severe floods during February 2000.