Masai Mara Wildlife Discovery Safari (10 days)
This journey will give you a better understanding of the different areas within the greater Mara ecosystem. Although you could spend months in the Masai Mara, 10 days will give you the ultimate Masai Mara experience, with time both inside and outside the reserve...
- Your Kenya safari will begin at one of the most iconic lodges in the country; Giraffe Manor. A great start to the wildlife discoveries you'll be making on this tour.
- Your next eight days will be spent in the Masai Mara Conservancies, which are the less crowded option if you're looking for an authentic experience. You'll explore Mara North, Olare Orok and Naboisho, teeming with wildlife.
- You'll stay in comfortable and remote camps througout your stay.
- If you're lucky, you may be able to witness Kenya's own migration, the Loita. Go during the high season around July to September for the best sightings.
- The Masai Mara is Big Cat paradise. If you're after thrilling predator-prey action, or simply want to learn about the felines at the top of Africa's food chain, then this is the adventure for you.
- All meals (half board at Giraffe Manor)
- Transfers and transport
- Drinks (local alcohol only)
- Two safari activities per day at your camp
Costing tip: When comparing with other companies, remember most of them only show the low season rate. How pricing works >
What to Expect on This Safari
This popular itinerary can be customised to match your budget and travel dates by adding/removing a few days or selecting different lodges
- When you arrive at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, you'll be picked up and transferred to the famous Giraffe Manor.
- Overnight, with dinner and breakfast included, with some unforgettable interactions with these curious animals.
Meals: Half board
Drinks: Not included
Transfers and transport: Included
- After breakfast, you'll be driven to Wilson airport to catch your flight to the Masai Mara. When you arrive at Ol Kiombo airstrip you'll be met by your driver guide and transferred to Rekero Camp for lunch. Inside the Mara, Rekero Camp is at the prime location of the Mara confluence.
- Enjoy your first afternoon in the heart of the Masai Mara exploring Paradise Plains and Musiara Swamp, made famous by the BBC’s Big Cat Diaries and Jonathan and Angie Scott.
- On your first full day inside the Masai Mara, you'll go down to the Mara River to look for crossings, then spend the afternoon in search of Big Cat action.
- The Mara confluence is a prime non-mass-tourism location inside the Mara and an ideal start to your Masai Mara experience.
4 to 5
Mara North's Leopard Gorge
- You'll go into the heart of the Mara North Conservancy where Leopard Gorge was made famous by Jonathan Scott’s filming.
- Enjoy bush walks, night drives and experience the Mara North at what we believe is the best camp, Kicheche Mara Camp.
- Overnight, with your meals and drinks included.
- Start your second dayday with an early morning drive to see what's happened the night before – nocturnal animals and cats are still active in the early morning.
- Return to camp for a late breakfast and a morning walk.
- Try to make the most of the late afternoon and evening drives after sundowners.
- Overnight again at Kicheche Mara Camp, with meals and drinks included.
6 to 7
Olare Orok, or Olare Motorogi Conservancy as it is now called, is probably the best of all the conservancies bordering the Masai Mara Reserve. The location is pristine, not too close to the western escarpment with its big hotels and light pollution but close enough to the Masai Mara core area to have good wildlife viewing all year round. You'll move to Kicheche’s sister camp in the Olare Orok Conservancy overnight, with your meals and drinks included.
8 to 9
- Naibosho has more woodland than most of the other conservancies in the area, to give you a different experience. There's also good walking, with bigger mammal species like elephant and giraffe. Enjoy your first afternoon game driving and exploring this eastern conservancy. Overnight at Naibosho Camp, with your meals and drinks included.
- We highly recommend that you take a night out of your lodge accommodation to go fly-camping (temporary mobile camp) on the hill overlooking the Masai Mara. Naibosho has an excellent walking guide and we recommend the two- to three-hour walk with Roelof before overnighting at the fly-camp. If walking isn't for you, enjoy normal game drives and other activities.
- Overnight at Naibosho Camp, with your meals and drinks included.
End of Journey
You'll be driven back to the airstrip for your flight back to Wilson airport, and then transferred to Jomo Kenyatta International for your connecting flight to your next destination.
You might also like
On this whirldwind safari, you'll enjoy two of Africa's greatest spectacles, the Wildebeest Migration and the magnificent Victoria Falls, experiences that are on every traveller's bucket list. Begin your journey in Kenya's Masai Mara…
Start your Kenyan family safari in Nairobi; the vibrant, exciting place and Africa’s fourth largest city. You and your family/friends will explore Nairobi's cafe culture, unbridled nightlife, National Museum, the Karen Blixen Museum. Visit…
Start your journey in Nairobi; Africa's fourth largest city. This Kenya safari gives travellers an excellent opportunity to experience the best that Kenya has to offer. Experience the vibrant and exciting places with fascinating attractions…
This safari will show you the strange and out-of-the-ordinary species of northern Kenya. It's designed for the person who is not just after the cats and the Great Migration, but loves remote areas and landscape, and wants to see new species…