Tropical East Madagascar Tour
On this fantastic beach holiday you'll get to discover Madagascar's stiriking east coast.
- Your journey will begin in the capital of Antananarivo where the sights and sounds of this unique city will have you intruiged by the mix of old colonial French influences and the new, modern Madagascar.
- Next you'll travel to the lush and charming village of Andasibe to explore the Perinet Reserve and the larger Parc National de Mantadia in a search for lemurs among the rich and diverse foliage. Get in touch with the Indri, the largest of the lemur species along with Brown and Bamboo lemurs.
- Extending down the eastern coast of Madagascar along the Indian Ocean, the Pangalanes Canal is a series of natural rivers, lakes and man-made waterways. We recommend an excursion to the canal to experience a number of unspoiled beaches and small villages on its banks, and the procession of boats on its waters, as well as meet the people whose lives and cultures are based around this intruiging landscape.
- Situated in the Analanjirofo Region in Madagascar, Mahambo is a coastal town facing the Indian Ocean, famous for surfing and resort holidays. Located 90 Km north of Tamatave (3h), you will drive along the Madagascan East coast where you can buy coconuts straight from the roadside. Do not hesitate to stop at one of the shops bordering the road to discover unusual tropical fruits.
- Your next stop will be the wonderful island paradise of Sainte Marie, a sliver of paradise off Madagascar’s northeast coast. A notorious pirate hideout in the late 17th century, it’s believed that this tropical islet once provided shelter for almost 1000 marauders.
With so much to explore and discover on the island, Madagascar is perfect for adventurous travellers, history-lovers and naturalists.
Costing tip: When comparing with other companies, remember most of them only show the low season rate. How pricing works >
What to Expect on This Safari
This popular itinerary can be customised to match your budget and travel dates by adding/removing a few days or selecting different lodges
Landing in Andasibe
Upon arrival at Antananarivo International airport, you will be met by your driver/guide who will drive to Andasibe National Park, HOME OF THE LEMURS! (3h to 4h drive).
Check-in into your hotel in the evening, dinner and overnight at your hotel.
Forest of Mantadia
We will visit the primary forest of Mantadia. Located about 1 hour drive from our base, the primary forest of the Mantadia Park spreads over 15 000 heactares. 108 species of birds are known in the park, we can also find 14 species of lemurs, species of reptiles among them of which the snake Boa manditra and 84 species of amphibian.
This hike requires medium to good physical conditions as there are some steep slopes and dense vegetation.
Night walk in the VOIMMA reserve: At nightfall, pick up your headlamps and flashlights for a nocturnal walk in the rainforest.
This morning we depart the hotel early to visit the Analamazaotra special reserve. We will look for biggest lemur of Madagascar's famous "Indri Indri." This lemur is endemic to the site, you will also encounter other species of lemurs, birds, chameleons, etc. as well as endemic flora like orchids and medicinal plants.
Vakona reserve visit: On the immense Vakona property, an island surrounded by freshwater is home to various species of lemurs: common brown lemurs, bamboo lemurs, ruffed lemurs, diademed sifakas. This will be a rare opportunity to get up close and interact with these primates. Amazing photo opportunities and souvenirs will be the result of that visit.
We leave the region of Andasibe and begin our ascent towards the highlands and the capital, the drive will take approximately 3 to 4 hours to Antananarivo. En-route we will visit the the Peyrieras Butterfly Far which is a small privately run reserve (or zoo).
Drinks: Not included
Transport & transfers: Included
Sainte Marie Island
Fly east to the island of Sainte Marie. After being transferred to your hotel, take advantage of this first day to
immerse yourself in the daily life of the islanders and visit the Pirates' cemetery. You will spend the night at the Princess Bora Lodge including dinner.
6 to 7
Paradise relaxationTime at leisure - The waters are endowed with significant coralline growth and offer first-class diving; or if you prefer being ‘onboard’, take a traditional pirogue ride in the calm bays – from July you can witness the migration of substantial groups of humpback whales and for history lovers, a visit to the pirates’ cemetery of Saint-Pierre is a must.
Sainte Marie Island back to Antananarivo
Morning at leisure in Sainte Marie, your last chance to breathe the warm Ocean Breeze! Take a flight back to the capital city, Antananarivo. Upon your arrival, you will be transferred to your hotel for dinner and overnight at the Maison Gallieni. You may also want to do some last minute shopping or take in an optional city tour.
Drinks: Not included
Transport & transfers: Included
End of journey
You'll be transferred to Ivato International Airport for your flight home.
Recommended Iteniraries and Tours
Take a Madagascar island adventure holiday and be one of the few to explore this mystical place...
One of the absolute highlights of this trip is a visit to the famous Baobab Avenue where you can watch a breathtaking sunset....
With its spectacular rainforests, beaches and waterways, this former pirate hideout offers a relaxed ambiance and more than enough activities to keep guests occupied...