Camping in Moremi Game Reserve (5 days)
Moremi Game Reserve is arguably Botswana’s best wildlife region, with permanent water that attracts big game year-round. Birding is prolific here, with over 500 species, turning the landscape into a twittering paradise. Camping in the bush is truly the best way to discover beautiful Moremi.
Highlights of the tour:
- Incredible wildlife experiences on walking safaris, as well as by boat and 4x4 (both day and late afternoon game drives)
- Both daytime and sunset cruises with sundowners on the waterways
- Mokoro excursions
- Spot the Big Five in this remote corner of the Okavango Delta.
- Look out for the rare sitatunga and lechwe antelope, as well as one of the last populations of Wild dogs on the planet
- The secretive and rare Pels Fishing Owl's favourite spot
- Luxury tented camping in prime areas of Moremi
Costing tip: When comparing with other companies, remember most of them only show the low season rate. How pricing works >
What to Expect on This Safari
This popular itinerary can be customised to match your budget and travel dates by adding/removing a few days or selecting different lodges
Welcome to Moremi!
- Upon arrival at Maun Airport, your host from Tuskers Bush Camp will meet you and drive you the 1,5 hour journey to the lodge, located in a private concession.
- Settle in and enjoy the view before departing for an evening game drive via the private road network.
- Enjoy sundowners at a scenic spot in the bush and a short night drive back to camp where a campfire will be waiting to welcome you.
- Dinner will be served in the dining tent, followed by your first night in the Botswana wilderness.
- An early wake up call will be met with coffee and rusks at the main area of camp before you depart on a morning game drive through the pristine Tuskers concession, where you might be lucky enough to encounter big game on your morning drive.
- After your morning activity, return to the lodge for breakfast, followed by an afternoon siesta.
- Spend some time with a pair of binoculars overlooking the waterhole in front of camp and enjoy the presence of wildlife and birdlife around camp.
- Lunch will be served later in the day before you depart on afternoon game drive, including sundowners and a night drive back to camp.
- Dinner is served, followed by your last night in a Tuskers safari tent.
Off to Xobega Island
- This morning after breakfast, you embark on the 6–8 hour road transfer through the Moremi Game Reserve to Xobega Island Camp. This is a complete game drive experience as the transfer takes you from Tuskers, into Moremi’s Khwai Gate through the reserve along the Khwai riverfront, and stopping to enjoy a picnic lunch.
- You will arrive at Xakanaxa Boat Station where your guide from Xobega Island Camp will pick you up in a motorboat. Climb aboard and enjoy the 1,5 hour boat cruise through the Delta waterways to Xobega Island. Arrive to welcome drinks and receive a briefing by the camp host before being shown to your classic canvas safari tent under the trees.
- After some refreshments it’s time for your sunset boat cruise. Enjoy the Delta’s beauty and birdlife for a couple of hours before returning to camp for dinner and your first night on Xobega Island.
Water-based Wildlife Experiences
- After breakfast you will depart for a long boat cruise through the Okavango Delta, gliding through the channels in between a myriad of islands. Upon returning to camp, you are welcome to have a warm bucket shower and refresh before lunch is served in the dining tent. Sit down and enjoy a good meal, followed by an afternoon siesta, or a spot of birdwatching on the island.
- High tea is served later in the afternoon and a sunset cruise complete with sundowners awaits to end the day.
- After your sunset cruise, return to camp to enjoy the campfire and a 3-course dinner before tuning in for your last night on Xobega Island.
End of Journey
This morning, after breakfast, you depart from Xobega Island Camp by boat back to the boat station where you will connect with a game viewer to transfer you to Xakanaxa Airstrip in the Moremi, only a short drive away. Here you will connect with your light air transfer out of Moremi to Maun.
* A flight to Kasane instead of Maun can also be arranged at an extra cost.
You Might Also Like
This two weeks journey starts in Maun taking Botswana’s most popular areas including Makgadikgadi Pans National Park, Moremi Game Reserve, Okavango Delta, Savute Channel and Chobe National Park. It then finishes off in the Victoria Falls…
Discover the finest wildlife areas of Botswana and Zimbabwe on this sensational Southern African safari. Your tour begins in the little-visited Khwai Community Area along the northern boundary of the Moremi Game Reserve. This is an unfenced…
This seven-day itinerary starts at the Chobe National Park famed for its huge elephant populations and the opportunity to photograph wildlife from both land and water on custom built photo boats and vehicles. Next you head to the Khwai…
This safari allows you to explore two popular African destinations, the watery wilderness of the Okavango Delta and the rumbling natural wonder that is Victoria Falls. From a relaxing retreat in the Moremi Game Reserve to the action-packed…