What is on offer?
This role is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned SEO specialist to take the lead for all aspects of SEO at a fast-growing safari travel company that has SEO and digital marketing in its DNA.
This “SEO samurai” role provides the opportunity for a significant leap in search traffic by establishing, leading and implementing smart, scalable SEO strategies that cover technical SEO, content marketing and building domain authority, trust and relevance through strategic link building.
While your primary mandate will be SEO, the role will delight marketers that thrive when collaborating across the digital marketing stack (Research, UX, UI, Content, Social, Email, Brand, CX, Web Development, MarTech and AI).
Success in this role will be measured by:
- Growing domain authority and trust
- Growing visibility in search engines
- Growing quality search traffic
- (All of which contribute to core marketing goal of growing lead volumes and lead quality)
Who are we?
Discover Africa Group is an innovative, experienced, and ambitious team passionate about sharing Africa’s best with travellers from all around the world.
Our company consists of Discover Africa Safaris, which specialises in bespoke luxury safari travel in Southern and East Africa, and Drive South Africa – Africa’s leading online rental car comparison and booking engine.
Whether it’s helping to plan an unforgettable tailor-made African safari or enabling an epic self-drive road trip, our undying mission is to showcase Africa’s unique natural beauty and diverse cultures. We’ve been there and done that so we know exactly what it takes to experience Africa at its finest!
We pride ourselves on our excellent customer satisfaction (we’re consistently rated 5 stars) and strive to deliver exceptional experiences for every traveller that entrusts us with their African adventure.
Our digital marketing and development projects are run in-house with a close-knit team of permanent staff, contractors and agencies. Together, we act as a dedicated “internal agency” producing quality work for our core brands.
We take a Kaizen approach of constant improvement and collaborate closely with our travel team to make sure we’re always user- and customer-centric.
We’re respectful, friendly, supportive, personal and professional. We understand that we’re not selling a product – we’re in the business of making travellers’ dreams come true.
Discover Africa Group is based in the northern suburbs of Cape Town.
Who are we looking for?
Our perfect person for this important role has 10+ years SEO experience in both agency and in-house.
SEO is your first love, but you’ve also earned your stripes across the digital marketing spectrum.
Optimising is in your DNA. Not just in terms of SEO, but in all that you do.
You have a proven track record of developing and executing SEO strategies, tactics and campaigns that achieve measurable results. Not just the technical stuff. But also the creative-, content- and UX-driven approaches.
You have a love-hate relationship with pandas, penguins and screaming frogs. You’ve learnt the lessons of black- and grey-hat tactics. You EEAT SEO news, podcasts and newsletters for breakfast. You’ve tried dozens of tools, and stand behind your toolset of choice.
You understand the nuances of TOFU, MOFU, BOFU.
You’re an enthusiastic senior marketer that still gets a kick out of doing great work.
You have a knack for spotting SEO talent and enjoy mentoring and training juniors.
You’re a team player that is comfortable and confident working with developers, UX/UI, content producers, copywriters, and colleagues beyond the digital team.
You keep a close eye on the AI hype, and have worked out its place in scaling SEO outputs, without compromising quality.
You possess an entrepreneurial mindset and are constantly hunting down ideas to improve systems and the people who work within them.
Also, a real bonus: you love Africa. And you love to travel.
What perks can you look forward to?
- A competitive salary with performance-based incentives
- 15 working days of annual leave on full pay during each annual leave cycle
- After 2 years, earn 1 extra annual paid leave day per year up to a max of 25 days
- Paid birthday leave – because no one should work on their birthday!
- Unlimited, pre-approved leave for training, including educational travel
- Unlimited, pre-approved training reimbursement upon successful completion
- Professional development opportunities
- Flexible work hours / schedule
- Hybrid work opportunities where the environment and role allows
- Participate in company-wide recognition & reward, social activities and wellness program
- A team led by actively engaged owners who encourage a respectful and positive culture
- Working alongside a diverse and dedicated team of professionals
- Africa travel opportunities at discounted rates
Sound like the right fit for you? Read on for the detailed job description below:
- SEO strategy
- Technical SEO
- Link building
- Content marketing
- Content optimization
- Stay abreast of changes in Search and SERPs
- Keep the team informed about changes in SEO, Search and SERPs
- Collaboration with the marketing team (and other teams in the organisation)
- Optimise processes and workstreams
- Mentor juniors and QA their work
- Keyword research
- Maintaining and updating the “keyword bible”
- Keyword-to-content mapping
- Keyword gap analysis
- Competitor research
- Content audits
- Content optimization
- Content cannibalization resolution
- Internal linking strategies
- Ideating and producing link-worthy content, assets, tools
- Create good briefs
- Digital PR and outreach
- Site health
- Speed optimization
- Google Search Console, Analytics (GA4), Tag Manager, etc
- Ahrefs, SEMRush, Screamingfrog, etc
- Measure and report ROI
- And more…
- Qualification & Job Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Marketing, Technology or related field
- Demonstrated history of effective SEO strategies and execution
- 10+ years’ experience in SEO
- 5+ years’ at agencies
- 5+ years’ client-side
- 2+ years’ leading an SEO/marketing team
- Skills, Knowledge & Attributes
- Excellent, deep and broad SEO knowledge and experience
- Excellent knowledge of SEO tools
- Ability to present ideas clearly
- Ability to multitask and prioritise effectively
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to provide guidance, support, and mentorship
- Attention to detail
- High degree of perseverance
- Ability to work independently
Ready to apply?
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Senior SEO Specialist”